National Poem In Your Pocket Day is Thursday, April 26, 2012. The idea is simple: select a poem you love during National Poetry Month then carry it with you to share with co-workers, family, and friends. You can also share your poem selection on Twitter by using the hashtag #pocketpoem.
Coffee House Press celebrated Poem in Your Pocket Day this morning, distributing handwritten poems, poems from our favorite poetry books, and yes, even original limericks. (“There once was a lad named Fish”).
This day is all about making poetry part of your daily life and also sharing your appreciation for poetry with others, in ways both big and small.
Want to celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day in your own community? Here are some suggestions courtesy of the Academy of American Poets.
- Start a “poems for pockets” give-a-way in your school or workplace
- Urge local businesses to offer discounts for those carrying poems
- Post pocket-sized verses in public places
- Handwrite some lines on the back of your business cards
- Start a street team to pass out poems in your community
- Distribute bookmarks with your favorite immortal lines
- Add a poem to your email footer
- Post a poem on your blog or social networking page
- Project a poem on a wall, inside or out
- Text a poem to friends
In the meantime, here’s some fun pictures from our exchanges!
We hope you all have a wonderful Poem in Your Pocket Day!