Coffee House Press is a nationally known and renowned nonprofit publishing house located in Northeast Minneapolis. We publish annually sixteen to twenty books—novels, short stories, poetry, and literary essays.
An internship at Coffee House Press will introduce you to all aspects of a small literary publisher, and will give you skills that can also easily transfer to larger publishing houses and other careers, both in the arts and elsewhere.
Intern tasks include:
- Reading and reporting on submissions (both in written and oral reports)
- Filing and other assorted clerical duties
- Researching donor and grant prospects
- Sending out submission correspondence
- Writing copy for newsletters, reading group guides, and the CHP website
- Manuscript fact checking
- Coordinating mailings (galleys, press releases, catalogs, etc.)
- Providing support at events
- Acquisitions research
- Database upkeep
Internship hours are flexible, averaging 12-15 hours per week over the course of 4 months for a total of at least 200 hours. At the completion of the internship, interns receive a $1,200 stipend, $200 worth of discounted Coffee House titles, and a discount on all future purchases. Internships are intended as fixed-length, educational experiences and should not be interpreted as job training. Interns are not entitled to or guaranteed employment upon the completion of the internship, but they are welcome to apply for open positions at the press at any time.
- Summer internships run May through August. Applications accepted between January 15–March 1.
- Fall internships run September through December. Applications accepted May 15–July 1.
- Spring internships run January through April. Applications accepted September 15–November 1.
Diverse experiences and viewpoints are important to us. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds, races, ethnicities, gender and sexual identities, and disability statuses. Please note that an I-9 Employee Eligibility Verification is required.
To apply for the program please send:
- A cover letter explaining why you’re applying for the program, along with your preferred start date
- A resume detailing your work and/or academic background
- Up to five pages of additional documents (e.g., references, work samples). Please do not send creative writing samples (poetry, stories, novel excerpts, memoir, and so on).
Mail or email materials to Coffee House Press Internship Program, 79 13th Avenue NE, Suite 110, Minneapolis, MN 55413; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.