Coffee House Press is a nationally known and renowned nonprofit publishing house located in Northeast Minneapolis. We publish annually sixteen to twenty books—novels, short stories, poetry, and literary essays.
An internship at Coffee House Press will introduce you to all aspects of a small literary publisher, and will give you skills that can also easily transfer to larger publishing houses and other careers, both in the arts and elsewhere.
Intern tasks include:
- Reading and reporting on submissions (both in written and oral reports)
- Filing and other assorted clerical duties
- Researching donor and grant prospects
- Sending out submission correspondence
- Writing copy for newsletters, reading group guides, and the CHP website
- Manuscript fact checking
- Coordinating mailings (galleys, press releases, catalogs, etc.)
- Providing support at events
- Acquisitions research
- Database upkeep
Internship hours are flexible, averaging 15–20 hours per week for a total of 200 hours. At the completion of the internship, interns receive $200 worth of discounted Coffee House titles and a discount on all future purchases.
For summer internships (with start dates in May or June), we accept applications between January 15 and March 1. For fall internships (with start dates in September or October), we accept applications between May 15 and July 1. For spring internships (with start dates in December or January), we accept applications between September 15 and November 1.
To apply for the program please send:
- A cover letter explaining why you’re applying for the program, along with your preferred start date
- A resume detailing your work and/or academic background
- Up to five pages of additional documents (e.g., references, work samples). Please do not send creative writing samples (poetry, stories, novel excerpts, memoir, and so on).
Mail or email materials to Coffee House Press Internship Program, 79 13th Avenue NE, Suite 110, Minneapolis, MN 55413; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.